Factors affecting heritage building conservation projects management with different usage characteristics: 3 case studies
Faculty of Architecture, Silpakorn University
Property Perfect Public Company Limited
The objective of this research is to investigate the factors that affect the heritage building conservation project management in three different building types, namely hotel, office building, and commercial building. The selected buildings are the properties of The Crown Property Bureau. They were built between 2411B.E. and 2468 B.E., and influenced by Western architectural style. This research proceeded with qualitative method by interviews from the project participants and the relevant documentation. The data were used in analysis process to find the crucial factors that affect the heritage building conservation projects. The result shows four important factors affect the projects, firstly, an inefficiency of data collection and building survey which leads to the change of project plans and affects the project schedules and budgets. Secondly, unclear policies can increase the project periods and budgets. Thirdly, too flexible and strict regulations of organizations affect time and budgets of the project management in terms of the projects and causing more budgets which decrease the work quality. The fourth factor is the lack of personnel and work experience which delay the project schedules and reduce the quality of work.
According to the crucial factors, they brought out several suggestions to solve the problems; planning an appropriate schedule of site survey and using technology for heritage building assessment; setting obvious project goals; adjusting the project plans, budgets and schedules follow the actual situation; promoting related agencies to provide skill training for stakeholders. Moreover, considering maintenance after achieving the projects is also important.
- Aowchumpa, A. (2013). Legal Measures for Conservation Historic Sites of Thailand. The Degree of Master of Laws, Dhurakij Pundit University.
- Bacarrini, D. (2000). “Success Criteria in Project Management”. in PM Network, 22(7).
- Buddhawong, R. (2012). Project Management Guidelines for Crown Property Bureau Renovated Conservation Building: 5 Case Studies During 2005-2013. Master of Architecture Program in Architecture, Chulalongkorn University.
- Khanjanusthit, P. (2009). Kan Anurak Moradok Sthapatyakam lae Chumchon. (In Thai) [Conservation of Heritage Architecture and Community]. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University.
- Jiradamkerng, W. (2009). Construction Management. Bangkok: Wankawee.
- John, R. M. (2009). “The use of formalised risk management approaches by UK design consultants in conservation refurbishment projects. Engineering”, in Construction and Architectural Management, 16(3), 273-287.
- Queensland Government. (2015). Guideline Heritage: Conservation Management Plans. Retrieved February 12, 2018, from https://www.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/68018/glconservation-management-plans.pdf.
- Srisuchat, T. (2014). Kow Krom Silpakorn 2014. (In Thai) [The Fine Arts Department’s News 2014]. Bangkok: Public Relations Group Office Fine Art Department.
- Steekelenburg, E. V. (2016). Urban Heritage Conservation: Economic Perspectives. Center for Megacity and City Studies, Bangkok: n.p.
Thammavatevitee, S. (2016). “The Restoration of Valuable Historical and Cultural Building”. in Journal of Environmental Design, 3(1), 3-17.
- Bamrungthai, P. (2018, December 22) Interview. Architect and Structural Consultants, Arsom Silp Institute Of The Arts.
- Ekabandhu, K. (2018, September 10) Interview. Chief Conservation Projects Division, The Crown Property Bureau.
- Janthakad, A. (2018, September 18) Interview. Project Manager, Pradittananurak Co., Ltd.
- Mongkongaroon, W. (2018, November 26) Interview. Architect, Kudakahn Co., Ltd.
- Niwanna, B. (2018, October 12) Interview. Project Manager, Sangnamchai Group Co., Ltd.
- Pipatpiyoparp, W. (2018, November 26) Interview. Architect, Kudakahn Co., Ltd.
- Suksai, K. (2018, August 16) Interview. Inter PAC Co., Ltd.
- Supawong, T. (2018, September 18) Interview. Architect, Pradittananurak Co., Ltd.
- Thephuttee, W. (2018, November 26) Interview. Architect, Kudakahn Co., Ltd.
- Thilawat, J. (2018, August 16) Interview. Inter PAC Co., Ltd.
- Wadkhien, P.(2018, December 27) Interview. Project Management Consultant, Arkinetic Co., Ltd.