Main Article Content
The objective of this research was to study the smoking behavior among youth in a deep southern border province. The population of this survey were 1,613 males youth aged 19-24 years who lived and were listed on the household registration of 13 villages of Sateng Nok Subdistrict of Mueang Yala, Yala Province. A stratified sampling technique for 13 village as strata was employed to take 346 youths, according to the Krejcie & Morgan table. The questionnaire about smoking behavior was adapted from the nicotine addiction assessment with the Index of Item – Objective Congruence (IOC) of 0.92. The statistics used in data analysis were mean, percentage, standard deviation, median, maximum and minimum. Out of 346 samples, 66.5 % were smokers, started smoking at 10 years old. For smokers, 58.3% smoking 1-9 cigarettes/day, 53.9% smoking while in stress or anxiety, 68.8% smoking at 5 minutes after getting up in the morning, and 51.7% smoking even during hospitalization. In addition, by nicotine addiction level, 86.5 % were non-addict, followed by 10.5%, a very high trend of developing nicotine addiction, and 3.0% moderately addicted to nicotine. From the research, the youth’s smoking problem is important and need to be solved immediately especially the youth who have hazard level of nicotine addiction must be consulted by a physician for quitting smoking.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
บทความ ข้อมูล เนื้อหา รูปภาพ ฯลฯ ที่ได้รับการเผยแพร่ในวารสารมหาวิทยาลัยราชภัฏยะลานี้ ถือเป็นลิขสิทธิ์ของวารสารมหาวิทยาลัยราชภัฏยะลา หากบุคคลหรือหน่วยงานใดต้องการนำทั้งหมดหรือส่วนหนึ่งส่วนใดไปเผยแพร่ต่อหรือกระทำการใดๆ จะต้องได้รับอนุญาตเป็นลายลักษณ์อักษรจากวารสารมหาวิทยาลัยราชภัฏยะลาก่อนเท่านั้น
2. Center for disease control and prevention. (2010). How tobacco smoke causes disease: the biology and behavioral basis for smoking-attributable disease: a report of the surgeon general [Online]. Retrieved 16 January 2017, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53012/#ch6.s2.
3. Department of Disease Control. (2017). Bureau of non communicable diseases [Online]. Retrieved 16 Murch 2017, from: http://www.thaincd.com/index.php.
4. Hammond, D. (2005). Smoking behaviour among young adults: beyond youth preventin [Online]. Retrieved 14 May 2016, from: www.tobaccocontrol.com: http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com.
5. Anjum, M., Srikanth, M., Reddy, P., Monica, M., Rao, K. & Sheetal, A. (2016). Reasons for smoking among the teenagers of age 14–17 years in Vikarabad town: A cross sectional study. Journal of Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry, 14(1), 82.
6. Baharudin, M., Kubaisy, W., Norden, N., Lairy, R. & Anuar, N. (2015). Prevalence of nicotine dependence among youth smokers (cigarette and shisha) in Malaysia. Journal of Nusing and Healthcare, 3(1), 44.
7. Kason, N., Sanehanurak, P., Janwarapot, W., Tabtim, W & Deemek, P. (2017). Knowledge and smoking behavior of male student Kamphaeng Phet Technical college. In the 4th Kamphaeng Phet Rajabhat Univercity National Conference, 22 December 2017. Kamphaeng Phet: Research Institute, Kamphaeng Phet University. (in Thai)
8. Srivanichakorn, S. (2017). Morbidity and mortality situation of non-communicable diseases (diabetes type 2 and cardiovascular diseases) in Thailand during 2010-2014. Disease Contriol Journal, 43(4), 379-389. (in Thai)
9. Pitayarangsarit, S. & Iamanan, P. (2011). The situation tobacco control in Thailand 2012. Bankok: Charoen Dee Munkong Printing. (in Thai)
10. Pitayarangsarit, S., Chotibenjamaporn, P. & Punkrajang, P. (2016). The situation of tobacco control in Thailand, 2016. Bankok: Charern Dee Mancong Printing.(in Thai)
11. Terry, A. R. (2000). Assessing nicotine dependence. American family physicial [online]. Retrieved 12 January ,2017 from https://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0801/p579.html.
12. The World Bank. (2016). The global state of smoking in 5 charts [Online]. Retrieved 2 November 2017, from The World Bank: blogs.world bank.org.opendata/global-state smoking-5-charts
13. The United Nation Organization. (2013). Difinition of youth [Online]. Retrieved 5 January 2016, from The United Nation Organization: https://www.un.org/esa/socdev/documents/youth/fact-sheets/youth-definition.pdf
14. World Health Oganization. (2019). Cancer [Online]. Retrieved 20 January 2019 from: https://www.who.int/cancer/en/